02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
STARTING IN 2017 APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL- PLEASE USE THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO START YOUR APPLICATION.
- TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India. To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution a list of biotechnology institutes in India is available here: List_Biotechn_India.pdf. However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list.
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 12 months and a maximum period of 2 years.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship is granted for an initial period of up to 3 years. Such Fellowships may then be extended for a further 2 years, subject to the student’s performance. Candidates will register for their PhD at a university in India. DBT will confirm any such extensions to both TWAS and the candidate.
- DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
- The language of instruction is English
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master's or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships, be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form); OR
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships; be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 August 2017.
No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to DBT by email.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample form).
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying online. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED by the referee. The subject line must contain the name DBT/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Should you have applied to or availed any Indian fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year this must be clearly specified in the application form.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 224559
• Centre for International Cooperation in Science (CICS)
2, Gandhi Mandapam Road
Chennai 600 025, India
Phone: + 91 44 24430228, 24901367, 24419466
Fax: +91 44 24914543