- TWAS-CIIT Visiting Scholar Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT) – www.ciit.edu.pk– for a minimum period of one month to a maximum period of three months.
NEW- TWAS-CIIT Visiting Scholar Fellowships are also offered in the following social and economic sciences - Development Studies, International Economics, Development Economics, Education and Science Education, Gender Studies, International Relations, Political Science.
- CIIT will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not be on site in Pakistan;
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of natural sciences;
- maximum age of 55 years by 31 December in the year of application;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience;
- IF applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold a PhD degree in a field of social sciences and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from CIIT (see sample Acceptance Letter on page 5). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman (by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Submitting your application
The call for applications is open from March/April until 31 August of each year.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from CIIT when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS and CIIT. The subject line must contain CIIT/VS and the candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent in sealed envelopes by post. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CIIT Visiting Scholar Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application (by e-mail, fax or post) to TWAS and CIIT.
TWAS Exchanges Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 330
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT)
Advisor (German Desk)
Park Road, Chak Shahzad
Tel: (+9251) 9049 5272
Fax: (+9251) 924 7010